Thursday, July 05, 2012

Tropical Gardens

On the spur of the moment, whilst driving past the Flecker Botanical Gardens, I pulled into a car park so we could go for a wander around the tropical gardens.  It is truly gorgeous in there with so many tropical plants.  It is soooo green and lush and magical with little paths leading here and there and trying to spot (and unsuccessfully trying to photograph) Ulysses butterflies.  


Since we left Cairns in 2008, there has been built a new fan dangled visitor centre and cafe, located just outside the Gardens themselves.  I remember reading that a lot of people were disappointed with the final building which is totally mirrored on the sides, due to the number of 'kamikaze' birds.  I can see now what they mean, but I like the way it reflects all the colours around it.  


And they make a mean milkshake in the cafe.


If you ever find yourself in Cairns I do highly recommend a visit to the Gardens, especially if you are not from the tropics.


The girls entertained themselves for a good twenty minutes on the storm water drain cover.




There are so many species of plants and trees located in the garden of all shapes and sizes.


Lily was thrilled when she collected a handful of seed pods.


Monet got a bit paranoid when I kept pointing out these wonderful Golden Orb spider webs dotted through out the gardens so when a leaf fell on her head she would've sworn it was a spider.  (Poor girl!)


I love the flower below.  It had 'colour blocking' all sorted before it became a fashion trend.  How lovely is the pink and orange together in the same flower?


Only a handful of days left in the school holidays up here in Queensland.  Not sure what we will get up to tomorrow but I know that Lily and I will return to these Gardens again down the track...

2 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is certainly a BEAUTIFUL place...Though it does seem strange that a 'mirrored' building was built there when they know there will be Birds coming and going....I wonder how many deaths they have due to that?

Nature is just astounding! The Pink and Orange together...WOW! And the whole look of that plant....STUNNING!

I hope you do go back and show us more of what is growing there...It sure is a lovely place!

Stella said...

What a gorgeous place. I googled the Ulysses butterfly- absolutely beautiful!

Love the pic of Lily holding her seed pods too.