Saturday, September 01, 2012

Barron Falls...more like a Trickle

During the week I took my parents up to Kuranda.  It's a good 25 minute drive from our house on the Northern Beaches, through the Kuranda range (a 13 kilometre windy road at 60ks/hr).  I detoured to the Barron Falls.  Lily and I had visited there a while back and knew my parents would like the walk and views.  I was correct in thinking so...

The initial view you get after a 50 metre walk is this...


I am positive that during 'Wet Season' that view would definitely take your breath away.  The Falls are quite famous for how powerful it is and how much water passes down the river.  But during the 'Dry Season' it trickles.

Along the boardwalk through the tree tops, you're never quite sure what you'll come across.  A Rhinoceros Beetle for example...




The trail you follow leads itself across a pedestrian bridge to 'Barron Falls' train station.  The railway is a pretty famous one in the tourist industry, due to it leading through rainforest (only accessible by the train - which there are two only) and past waterfalls and the like.

Well, we could not have timed our venture up to Kuranda and the walk we were on any better.   I said to Lily "Oh, I think I can hear the train coming"....and sure enough, two minutes later what do we see coming along...


I'm not sure who was more excited - Lily, Grandma, Grandad or myself! *heehee*

"Wave to the train Lily!"  She did and the train driver waved a big wave back and tooted the train horn.  Pretty special.


The train is really long, I can't tell you how many carriages (seems like at least two dozen).  The train stopped at the station and the tourists piled out for a photographic opportunity.


We stood at a lookout and took some photos ourselves.




That was before we were bombarded with a handful of the train's travellers on our viewing station...


We knew then, it was time to walk the trail back to the car park.  =)

4 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A fascinating Beautiful place and what a charming train that is!! I seem to remember you posting some pictures of this place when you were there with Lily....But, not the train! Oh, I hope you will take that train sometime soon--if you haven't already...!

Star said...

Beautiful scenery. Thanks for taking us along.

kurrabikid said...

Tis a lovely part of the world!

kurrabikid said...

And a very happy 3rd bday to your littlest lady too!...