Most afternoons after collecting Monet from school she is always asking "can we go somewhere? Where are we going?" blah, blah, blah. I actually expected her yesterday to say she wanted to go straight home after school when I said I wanted to visit the Botanical Gardens. *phew*
I had been following on FB the cycle of 'Spud', the Amorphophallus titanum plant, known also as the Corpse Flower. It was a major event and I was keen to see it in full bloom, as it rarely blooms and when it does it is massive and stinks! Yesterday afternoon at 2pm the FB stays read that it was opening up...
The girls and I got to the Garden not long before 3:30 and there was already quite a few people milling around. I knew exactly where to go….
There was a massive pong just outside the Fernery. A revolting pungent waft…
But Spud was magnificent. I'm sure the swarm of flies buzzing around thought so too.
I am sure the Flecker Botanical Gardens is one of my favourite places in Cairns. Each time I visit I always see something I hadn't laid eyes on before.
I adore this photo below. The colours are magnificent...
As we exited the Gardens (after milkshakes for the girls and a *ahem* beer for me), Monet pointed out the Ulysses butterfly fluttering around. Having my camera in hand I finally (FINALLY) got a photo of one. After years of living here I have never been quick enough!










1 comment:
MAGNIFICENT!!! There are such amazing and Magical things in Nature---How wonderful that you got to see this Flowering phenom!
And that Butterfly is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations, my dear....
Post a Comment