Friday, October 20, 2006

I'm No Bug Lover. Hot Tip.

Okay, a bit of a phobia of mine I have to confess.

I don't like spiders. I don't like snakes. I don't like geckos. I don't like moths and I certainly don't like bugs. Except ladybirds. I like ladybirds and I like frogs too. Not dreaded cane toads though. It would be okay if cane toads were cute like frogs but they are not. They are U-G-L-Y. But back to bugs.... Urgh.

As you may have gathered I am not one for creepy crawlies. They make me scared at the mere thought. So you can imagine the fright I got when I spied this BIG grass-hoppy thing lurking on our balcony wall this afternoon, when I was speaking to my mother on the phone. This thing was big. I have seen (and not minded) grasshoppers before. They are okay when they are normal size, not GIGANTIC like this one.

The wet season is approaching quickly. First geckos on my windows, now big grass-hoppers on my walss. I wonder what else will be lurking on my first floor apartment balcony in the months ahead? Pythons? Cane toads? A gigantic orb spider? I shudder to think. I'm sure you'll hear it first though.

What makes your skin crawl?

7 comments:

MaR said...

I don't like insects...I learned how to live with tiny spiders because I live in a pine tree zone and we have many of them. I just tell them to stay outdoors. Same with the geckos, I keep getting some in the house and I catch them with a glass to take them outside... Snakes? these are even worse,uaaagg!
Michele sent me :)

Anonymous said...

So you won't appreciate the photo I took of the passenger on our jeep in Turkey, July 05, then? ;-)

Can't say I was too keen on it, either. Shudder.

I can't see clearly, but was yours also a locust?

Brandon said...

Hey, I found your blog via Reading Matters and thought I'd cruise by and say hello. As for the things that make my skin crawl, that would have to be snakes. Bugs I can deal with, but I jump at the sight of snakes. I even have trouble touching a picture of a snake; I half-expect it to jump out of the picture and bite me.

I'm such a wimp.

Great blog, by the way.

Melody said...

Mar - glad it's just not me. Thanks for dropping by.

David - yeah, you're right. I didn't like your passenger. Urgh. I'm not sure what it was, besides the fact that it was large. (Maybe 15-20cm long) It could've been a locust.

Brandon - thanks for dropping by. I grew up in a house with a large yard that attracted snakes in the summer time. Somehow snakes don't freak me as much as big bugs do.

LBA said...

What the HELL are you doing in Qld, land of the creepy-crawlie ?

:)

Melody said...

H&B - yeah, I sometimes shudder at the thought of whats lurking around where I can't see...

Anonymous said...

Moths, as you know. This summer while Matt was in the UK I got our of the shower one evening and heard a loud buzzing noise. A glance at the window revealed the biggest moth I'd ever seen. It settled on the window in a triangular shape that wouldn't have fitted into my palm - not that I was going to try. I grabbed a towel off the rail to cover my naked, defenceless self, then ran to get the hoover. Adding as many tubes as I could find to the end, I quietlty plugged it in so as not to disturb the beast then switched it on as I held it towards the window. The moth flew up the tube without a fuss, but the worst thing was I could feel it shuddering through the tube as it passed through my hands, ugh. I left the hoover on for a good five minutes afte that, just to make sure.