Thursday, May 31, 2007

Do Mobile Phone's Come With 'L-Plates'?*

My mother is pretty new to the texting game. She owns my father's 'hand-me-down' mobile phone and since my father has gone gallivanting over to the other side of the world to visit my sister (amongst other places) mum has had to learn the techniques of mobile texting. My dad is texting both of us to let us know where he is etc.,
Two weeks ago my mum only knew how to answer her phone.
Last week she learnt how to read text messages.
This week she is writing them.
Not bad for a 61 year old who wouldn't even know where to turn on a computer (let alone operate one) and only bought a microwave oven in the last 4 years. And she's never really operated a dishwasher before, but she is getting one of those too in the very near future when her 30 year old kitchen is being remodelled. (I don't know who is more excited about that - her, or me, who lives over 3000 kilometers away!)
I spoke to my mother on the phone on Monday and told her she could practise her texting on me. So she did.

My text: Hi. Just got your card in the
mail. Monet said thank you and thinks the card is beautiful.
Xx

My mum's (return) text:

My text: There was no writing in your
message. Did you just do that to let me know you got my
message?

My mum's text: Good

My text: You did it! Yippee.

My mum's text: Fantastic

My text: Getting better!

My mum's text: Fantastic

My text: You already sent that
one. Monet is just about asleep in her Max and Milly chair. She fell
asleep on the couch last night at 7pm. Slept until 6 45am.

My mum's text:

My text: Nothing there again.

My mum's text: Sorry

My text: Do you know how to put in gaps
so you can write a sentence? One word sentences are fine
though.

My mum's text: Yes I do but no full
stops etc

My text:Ahh well done! Don't worry about
punctuation.

My mum's text: Yes I do but no full
stops etc

My mum's text (again): Yes I do but no
full stops etc

My text: You have sent that message to
me 3 times now. But that is ok.

My mum's text: Yes I do but no full
stops etc

My text: 4 times now.

My mum's text: Yes I do but no full
stops etc

My text: 5 times now. Same text
message. You need to delete it.

That was on Monday. We laughed about it on the phone on Wednesday when we spoke. But she is definitely improving on this text messaging thing which is great, as I never thought I'd see the day when I would see her use a mobile phone.
I'm hoping the new dishwasher is easier to use than her mobile.
*Kimbofo - you need to show Dad this post. I hope he finds it amusing.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh melody that is priceless!!! I haven't laughed so hard for ages!!! I can just picture your mum sitting in her chair trying to figure it out. You were very patient with her!!! I'm sure you were laughing though. My mum would be exactly the same. She would have absolutely no idea, even when she uses her microwave you can see that she is stressing that she might do it wrong!! Not sure what she thinks will happen if she hits the wrong button or something:) maybe it will blow up!
by the way i made your chicken and sweet corn soup last night for tea. Beautiful! I wil be making it again it was a real hit.

Star said...

I am not much better at it than your Mom. Good for her!

Melody said...

Kate - I'm glad you found it amusing. I must admit I was chuckling to myself as I too could imagine her sitting there trying to work out what she was writing etc.,

Star - at least you have a blog!!! Good for you!!

LBA said...

thats' *hilarious* !!! :))

Jennifer said...

My mom finally figured it out...good thing, since I can't talk on the phone at all! My mother-in-law refuses to learn new tricks, so I don't get to communicate with her by phone or computer...bummer ;). The kids talk to her on the phone though!
I loved the exchange with your mom...sounds like she's getting the hang of it...slowly! :)

Bobkat said...

Oh gawd! That is sooo funny and reminded me of when my mum first started to use a mobile phone. I too had plenty of blank and repeat messages and some that were quite baffling when she inadvertantly switched on predictive text! LOL! Those were hilarious as was her indignant phone call telling me that her phone was broken already! :) My dear mum was about the same age as yours when she was introduced to mobiles.

Kiki said...

That is so bloody funny. My Mother refuses to learn anything new with her phone and it really bugs me. She has a computer though and is slowly learning (through her drunken hazes) to send emails - a few hardly legible. Luckily for me I follow Dad's technical mind..probably why they are no longer together ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

.

Anonymous said...

Just kidding,
that's pretty cool that your Mom is text messaging.
We set my mother-in-law up with a PC and taught her how to Instant Message because, like you, my wife lived very far away from her mother. It was a great way for them to stay in touch besides just relying on the phone. Every day started with a Good Morning text message and ended with a Good Night and I love you.

Melody said...

Delane - I like your sense of humour!!

Bernie said...

What's you mobile (aussie) cell (US) number and I will send her/you my comment instead of here...
Just joking!
My mum, who is 69, still does not know how to text either, and instead, will either get my nephew to return it or simply just call me!!!
Here from Michele's today...
Bernie

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

I'm not one for text messaging either so tell your mum she's doing better than me.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!! I'm still laughing. (And I love Delane's comments!!)

Marie said...

That is really cute. I confess that I just use my phone for calls! I do use Google Talk on my computer all the time though!

Anonymous said...

Melody this post made me laugh so hard I've got tears rolling...and I think I might have pulled a muscle in my back! Honestly, I couldn't catch my breath :)

Don't you just love parents? I'll bet your mother is fantastic.