Thursday, June 07, 2007

Warm to Cold...

So we've figured it is about time that Monet and I went south for a holiday, to visit family and friends. We've had both lots of parents up here numerous times and it's only fair that we go down and repay their visits. Part of me is really looking forward to it, but the other part is dreading the cold weather. Bone-chilling cold.
Even this morning Monet went out on our back balcony (which catches the sun all day) and said "It's cold out here Mum!" She was right. It was. But it was 19 degrees Celsius. How ridiculous is that? We're complaining that it is 19 degrees!! (That's about in 66 Fahrenheit). I have jeans on today and it is currently about 25 degrees (77F). If we were still living in Melbourne I wouldn't be complaining how cool it was at night at 19C but rather boasting about how hot it was! I'm still shaking my head at myself.
We are flying to Melbourne on August the 1st with a 2 hour stop-over in Sydney. So our plane trip is going to take like 6 hours, but the tickets were cheap so I am not whinging over that. It might be nice for Monet and I to stretch our legs! We fly back out on the 12th, but we are going to Brisbane for 3 nights and meeting Lyndon down there. 2 holidays in 1, we are having. How lucky are we?
Now, because we get around in t-shirts and skirts/shorts/mid-calf pants for most of the year (except today when I am wearing a pair of jeans but I am starting to feel warm so I might have to change), we don't have winter clothes. I have a big winter coat stored at my parents which I will be wearing, but Monet really has nothing. She does not know what flannelette pyjamas are, let alone own any.
That is why the local Department Stores are loving us today.
I have lay-byed for Monet the following; (and you can only imagine how cute and gorgeous the following are) - a pair of Dora the Explorer flannie pjs, a pair of denium jeans, a black pinafore with matching funky top, a fleecy Dora the Explorer tracksuit, a green zip-up fleecy jacket, woollen tights, a pair of Dunlop slip-on shoes and a pair of Gumboots. For myself, a pair of new jeans and a black woollen jumper/cardigan over top thingy (you understand that don't you?) I will need to get myself some shoes that cover my toes. I don't have any.
I love shopping for clothes for an impending holiday. Always have. It is a rule Lyndon and I have. Holiday = new clothes.
Do you ever buy new clothes for impending holidays?
(Sorry, Blogger not liking paragraphs today. Again!!)

9 comments:

jeanie said...

Are you typing up in html or the other? html code is '< b r '> without the ' or space!

What is it about these Northerly towns and their desire to sell us winter gear? There is a whole section of Target here devoted to overcoats. You might need to wear one for a week the whole year, maybe? Good for southern sojourns, however!

LBA said...

I live in Melb, but I don't own an overcoat ;)

Gippslands a bit different to the city though.

I don't shop before a holi, but rather when I get 'there' ( where-ever 'there' may be ). My last big buy-up was in the UK, and the next one will be in the US :p

Ms Mac said...

We used to have a ritual holiday clothes shopping trip with my Mum whenever we were off somewhere.

I was going to suggest that Monet keeps a wee stash of clothes at your Mum's but I forgot, they grow so quickly, don't they? Nothing would fit by the next time you arrived!

:-)

Ms Mac said...

ps. So jealous that you're off to Melbourne! My home!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, you've acclimatised to Cairns. It going to hurt when you get to Melbourne. I even feel cold in Brisbane these days !

Kiki said...

I'm jealous about your trip too since I consider Melbourne my second home, oh and the clothes shopping. I saw a beautiful pair of Supersoft shoes in Mathers today and soooo comfy.

What are you getting up to in Bris?

Anonymous said...

Sadly not, on the clothes buying front. Since I've settled into a steady middle-aged spread, all I need to replace is whatever wears out, plus work shirts that shrink from the routine washing... Unlike my well-dressed children, in that regard.

Not a moan, BTW, there have to some advantages to fatherly invisibility!

Anonymous said...

Melody I've discovered the same paragraph issue today....annoying.

To answer your question, no I do not shop for clothes for impending holidays :-) For me clothes buying is a drudgery that I simply force myself to do when I become too embarassed to continue wearing my worn out wardrobe! Ebarassing but true.

I'm glad there are those of you out there who have a love for clothes shopping so the whole world doesn't walk around looking like ragamuffins!

Kiki said...

Hey,I also saw some cool shoes in Colorado, they have a slight heel on them so they can be worn with jeans and funked up with skirts too. Those Esprit skirts you love :-) I'm going to buy myself a pair but I didn't when at the shops yesterday, I have a feeling they're going to be on sale in the next week or this month anyway being end of financial year and all. I don't want to get caught out with paying too much!!