Sunday, July 22, 2007

Show Day

On Friday, we braved the locals, the tourists, the teenagers, the young adults, families and the people washed down from the hills and the back of nowhere, to visit the Cairns Show. And when I say washed down from the hills and the back of nowhere I mean it. I have never seen such an assortment of, well, shapes, sizes and different country folk. Oh, yes I have. The last time was the Cairns Show last year. Heehee. It was a public Holiday in Cairns to allow everyone to attend the show which runs for three days.

Monet was awfully excited to go as we had been building it up for the past week or so and especially since our successful (yep - successful!) potty training. It was (part of) her reward. The thing was, she wasn't so much excited for going to the show to see everything as such, it was the excitement of the food she was allowed to eat. The girl takes so much after her father at times it is scary. She already had plans on what she was going to eat when she got there.

Lyndon woofed down a 'Dagwood dog' (urgh!), which is basically a hot dog sausage, dipped in batter, deep fried and then dipped in tomato sauce (ketchup). Oh yes, the most important aspect of the 'Dagwood dog' is that it is served on a stick. (It isn't my idea of something yummy) Monet was given a bucket of salted hot chips which she thought was wonderful.
We battled our way through the mass of people. We watched the brave souls battling to get in line to get onto rides (we gave them all a miss in the end) and blocked our ears to the loud thumping music. Monet walked around with her hand firmly in place of her father's, looking around with wide eyes. She really was taking it all in.

Her eyes widened when she saw the 'Clowns' game. You know the one. Where the clown heads with open mouths move from side to side and you pop balls into their mouths to get a prize? Monet thought that was the best fun she had had in a long time.

So much so, when she spotted another game of similar action (this time monkey heads!) she had another go. And both times she got a little prize which she thought was the ants pants. Stuff little girls adore (plastic necklace etc.,)

When it came to 'Show bag' time, she was allowed to choose 1 and 1 only. And at $20 a pop (can you believe that?) she choose a Play School one which I was glad of because the stuff in there is stuff she will use and not discard.

All the walking around made someone very hungry for an ice cream. Now Monet carries on about ice cream every day and I swear during her life she has had ice cream only a handful of times (if that!) Each morning I ask her what she had a dream about and 9 times out of 10 she will say 'ice cream'.

So an ice cream it was. A kiddie size soft serve that she surely appreciated because I swear it took her a good 25 minutes to eat! Lick by lick by lick. Drip...drip...drip...

We were all rather keen to leave after doing one walk around the show grounds. Monet was tired after being on her legs the whole time and Lyndon and I were sick and tired of battling the crowds.

But we couldn't leave without buying a bag of Fairy Floss (bright pink fairy floss that that!) which Monet and I ate on the way home. A big sugar rush for both of us! Yum, yum. I love fairy floss besides the fact that it contains 99% sugar. Ahh, who cares if it tastes so good eh? *wink*

We all came home exhausted. But someone is still talking about it so obviously it was worth the money, the effort and the battling of crowds.

11 comments:

LBA said...

Hooooooooot Chiiiiiiiiiiips

( drool !! , and they look soooo gooood toooooo - did I already drool ?!)

Dagwood Dogs - we used to call "Pluto Pups". i always wanted one, but was never allowed to try one. I reckon i'd like it, but I haven't seen one in years :)

Ans icecream ? Same here, yet sometimes he will request it for breakfast "Icecream Mummy?".

Um no, how about some nice toast ? :)

Looks ( and sounds ) like you had a great day though :)

Anonymous said...

What? A play school show bag...didn't you show her the Smarties show bags?

Anonymous said...

That ice cream's already started to go into meltdown and it's only a couple of minutes old. I dread to think what it looked like 25 minutes later. Gotta love the show !

Unknown said...

The ice-cream photo is great - so much concentration!

Anonymous said...

I tell you what, those hot chips look pretty wicked!

Did they have animals at the show? Or was it just fairground rides?

(I'm having trouble posting this comment...grrrrr)

Bobkat said...

I'm with Monet on the ice-cream. I love it but it has to be the soft stuff or the really good stuff! The hot dog on a stick sounds awful though!

The show sounds entertaining but dealing with big crowds is so tiring! Glad you all had a good time :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Fairy Floss...Is that like what we call Cotton Csndy, here in the U.S.? It sounds like it might be...Kind of like soft spun colored sugar something....It melts in your mouth in a second?

That sure sounded like fun, though the crowds would wear me out, too! How fun for Monet though to have all these new sights and sounds and food...(lol)
And happy to hear the Potty training has been a success! Congratulations to you all, especially dear sweet little Monet!

lorenzothellama said...

We call it candy floss in Britain. I love watching it being made. Those chips look good but I'll give that sausage thing a miss!

jeanie said...

ha ha ha - we actually managed to skip the show this year - can be mighty expensive once you factor $20 for rides (not enough), $20 for food (ditto), the crowds, the noise, the lights.

Being a country girl I always tried to wear 'Salina out with visiting all the animals before we hit sideshow alley - and I always snuck in some fruit as it could fill at $15 hole!!!

Sounds like you all had fun - glad its only once a year?

Sarcasmo said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Kiki said...

The "Ekka" starts here in about a fortnight, we have lifetime passes but we're still deciding whether we should go along or not. Probably will take Miss A one day and see all the animals. I'm not so sure I want to brave 'sideshow alley' though. Too many bogans for me :-)