Airlie Beach is one of those places that you immediately like. You know when you get that feeling? We all got it straight away after our 3 (or so) hours drive south from our overnight stay in Townsville. The place was bustling with activity. There were backpackers crossing the road, people drinking ales and eating in cafes, with masses of buildings built along the steep hillside over looking the most beautiful harbour with the bluest water.
We had booked to stay here for 2 nights, a quick walk from the main strip and overlooking the Whitsunday Passage. Besides the driveway being awfully (awfully) steep, the 1 bedroom 'family' apartment was a ripper! It had everything we wanted and it was very (very) reasonably priced. The people who run the apartments were really friendly and very helpful, without being pushy. I like people like that a lot. They even booked our day trip for us and organised for us to be picked up via bus connection the next morning. But that is another post!
We had booked to stay here for 2 nights, a quick walk from the main strip and overlooking the Whitsunday Passage. Besides the driveway being awfully (awfully) steep, the 1 bedroom 'family' apartment was a ripper! It had everything we wanted and it was very (very) reasonably priced. The people who run the apartments were really friendly and very helpful, without being pushy. I like people like that a lot. They even booked our day trip for us and organised for us to be picked up via bus connection the next morning. But that is another post!
After walking along the main tourist/shopping strip we visited the Lagoon which was pretty impressive, but I have a real soft spot for the Cairns Lagoon so I can't say that this one looked better... *grin*
And there is so much construction happening in this little neck of the woods. Opposite to where we were staying they are constructing a new marina. No doubt prices for housing will be going through the roof here too!
We ate take aways for both nights we stayed here. And had a couple of 6-pack beers between us (only Lyndon and I of course!) over the two nights too, I mean, we were on holidays after all! (But usually that doesn't stop us *hee hee*) There was no buffet breakfast for us here either BTW, it was normal Vegemite on toast for us all both mornings.
The apartment balcony seemed to attract a couple of White cockatoos both mornings we were there, which gave Lyndon one hell of a fright when he was sitting out there minding his own business. Monet thought they were terrific, but we told her she had to watch them through the windows as they didn't seem to be the most friendlies kind of Cockatoos!
We ate take aways for both nights we stayed here. And had a couple of 6-pack beers between us (only Lyndon and I of course!) over the two nights too, I mean, we were on holidays after all! (But usually that doesn't stop us *hee hee*) There was no buffet breakfast for us here either BTW, it was normal Vegemite on toast for us all both mornings.
The apartment balcony seemed to attract a couple of White cockatoos both mornings we were there, which gave Lyndon one hell of a fright when he was sitting out there minding his own business. Monet thought they were terrific, but we told her she had to watch them through the windows as they didn't seem to be the most friendlies kind of Cockatoos!
If you get the opportunity to visit Airlie Beach I say "GO!!", without hesitation. We loved it. Everyone we came across were awfully friendly and it is simply a beautiful holiday destination. We only wished we stayed longer than our 2 nights.
*Next time, next time*
9 comments:
Ok, OK, we get the picture, lucky you visited lots and lots of beautiful, lovely and interesting pictures, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a wee bit jealous! The Tourist Board should put you on commission. (Can you tell it's been raining lots here?!)
It is a beautiful spot. Amazingly busy now though.
it looks great
My hubby would love to visit there
thanks for coming by my blog btw
I swear you guys go to some of the prettiest places. Your blog is like my personal travelocity or something!!!
I've had one of the best holidays in Airlie Beach too, it was with my Dad when I was in Year 10. He took my brother and I for two weeks...we stayed somewhere close to where you did as the outlook is very similar. I just can't think of the name off the top of my head and I don't have time to Google just now.
What a lovely image with the Cockatoo, Monet must have thought she was in (bird) heaven!
Man Melody, you folks get to see the coolest places!
Do you ever sleep in your own bed ? {grin}
H&B - not lately!! But we have the best bed on the planet so it is nice to know we aren't venturing off anywhere for quite some time...
This page is fantastic, what you show us is very interesting and important, do you want to see something more? Look: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jaco beach hotel club, best western jaco beach costa rica, jaco beach nightlife. Visit us for more information at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/
Post a Comment