Ahh, Townsville, or more affectionately known around these woods as 'Townsie'. I find the place very picturesque, especially the 'city' centre and the area around 'The Strand'. Townsville is about a four hour drive south of Cairns, or roughly 360-odd kilometers on a terrible, mainly single-laned, double-lined, Highway. (The Bruce!)
When we arrived last Sunday the weather was a bit on the miserable side. There was no big blue sky, no slight tropical breeze. But the atmosphere was the same as I remember it from last year. The the beer was just as refreshing too.
We enjoyed lunch at 'The Brewery' on Flinders Mall. I don't think a visit to Townsie is complete without sampling some of their home brew at that place and endeavouring one of their meals. Simply delicious (the food and the beer!) and a great price too. (You have to love that!)
I had found a great deal on Wotif for an overnight stay at Jupiter's Casino which included the defining moment of us staying there, complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates on arrival. Sound terrible, don't we? But you do have to enjoy the good things in life... *grin* Our stay also included a buffet breakfast and anyone who knows us should know that we love a good buffet breakfast!! (Who doesn't?!?) The hotel room was great. Nice big King size bed for the three of us (!) and a wonderful view over towards Magnetic Island, where we also visited last year and loved! (No 'Maggie' Island this time though...)
For dinner we splashed out and had *surprise surprise* a buffet dinner. And my, was it simply delicious? Yes, it was. And to please the Little One, it also included Chocolate Paddle pops as part of the dessert, so someone thought it was the best meal of rice, chicken and paddle pop ever! (Some people are easily pleased aren't they?) I know that both Lyndon and I ate probably way too much (curries, roasts, salads, veggies, soup, bread rolls, desserts!) as we literally had to roll ourselves back to our suites.
We probably made a bad choice having a buffet for dinner because we were still both pretty full when it came to having a buffet breakfast in the morning!! Oh well. I still got to enjoy the Bircher Muesli with fresh fruit and a helping a bacon and scrambled eggs (which were very yummy - sometimes scramblies can be hit or miss!) and raisin toast. Monet was happy because she got to try for the first time, Coco-pops followed by her normal breakfast of Vegemite on toast.
After surrendering to our breakie, we packed up our gear and headed further south to the stunning Airlie Beach, a further three hours down the road from Townsville...
7 comments:
Townsie? I have lived here for a long time and never heard that name! It must be an out of Townsville name for us!!
*heehee* Yeah Tracey, it is! Or maybe because I am originally a 'southerner' that's what we called Townsville... You do live in a lovely part of Qld don't you?
Oh, I love the ocean photo! Looks like paradise. :)
I also read your post about Dreamworld, which I'd never heard of. Love reading other travels.
I'm glad Michele sent me!
~S :)
I love places with a nice harbour and if the city centre is nice too then it's wonderful. This sounds like just that sort of place and the harbour looks lovely. Seems like an ideal place for a stay and the food sound slike it was gorgeous! LOL! Glad you enjoyed your time there.
Michele sent me this time but I woudld've shown up :)
scrambled eggs hmmmm, just add more salt to make them taste a bit better on the miss ones... next time you are in townsville or brownsville( another way i have heard it been referred to as) you should go the the museum i took my son there when he wass 4 and he loved it we spent nearly a whole day there
Used to be brownsville, but not any more.
Oww I agree Tracey. I love Townsville - I love all the colours that it is - blue, green and 'golden', not brown.
Post a Comment