Our hotel was located at South Bank, a great place to stay for any impending visitor. It was close to the city center (walkable, even with child), and had a wide variety of restaurants, cafes and bars. And open spaces. We did have to buy one of those horrible 'umbrella' strollers though (urgh - do you know how much I dislike those things?), but when your child isn't feeling too well (like mine, Monet had a nasty cough and runny nose and I did actually have to take her to a Brisbane Doctor) and you want to do some exploring of a city, which it looks like you'll be moving to within a year, they are okay. Yes, it looks as if we are going to be moving to Brisbane with Lyndon's work. Which is part of the reason why we went to Brisbane, to get a feel for the place. Oh, and Lyndon went to the Bob Dylan concert on the Monday evening, which was the other reason why we went there.
It had been about 13 years since I had last visited Brisbane. My big sis studied at the university here so I visited a couple of times from Melbourne. I remember it being a quiet, pretty city with great weather. It still is a pretty city with great weather but it isn't so quiet any more. The city was buzzing with activity and there were loads of new shops which were never there all those years ago. There is lots of construction happening (you notice these things when your partner is a foreman) and there is loads of potential for this once young city.
There is now a lot of popular shops which I recognise from my days in Melbourne City. And the Myer in Brisbane is actually really good. (I love a good Myer store!) I even lashed out and bought a fancy nancy tshirt (*shock, horror*).
We visited the lovely Belgian Beer Cafe (which we know and love due to the fact that we were frequent visitors to the one on St.Kilda Road in Melbourne when we resided there) which was a nice time for us to sit back and enjoy what they had on offer. Stella always tastes so much better at these cafes. Nioce.
We went on a big walk from where we were staying to the Storey Bridge and walked across it, all for the fact that Lyndon had been banging on about this particular pub based under the southern end of the bridge. (He had visited Brisbane a couple of months ago with some mates.) The Storey Bridge Hotel was worth the big walk and the beer tasted good and so did the 'pub grub'. We caught a river ferry back to South Bank which was cheap (like $4 or something for the 3 of us) and we got to see the city from a different point of view. (Brisbane City is partially surrounded by the Brisbane River).
Brisbane is now becoming more and more popular with people now moving up from both Melbourne and Sydney, because of the infrastructure and the climate. It is growing into a lovely city with loads to do and places to explore. It is in a good position, with the Sunshine Coast an hours drive north and the Gold Coast, an hours drive south. There are a few negative aspects to the city though - traffic seems to be a big problem (due to the increased population), real estate is going up through to the roof (due to increased population) and the public transport system needs great improvement (or maybe we just had a bad experience). The amount of water in the city's dams is so low so the water restrictions are strongly in force (about to hit Level 6 restrictions I think). But the whole city is creating a new vibe and I think I felt it. The plans I have read about what they plan for the city within the next 20 years sound promising. (Plans to do with public transport, walking/cycling tracks and pedestrian/cyclist bridges, 'greening' the city etc.,)
All up I liked Brisbane. I'm sure somewhere in one of those Brisbane suburbs, there is a place for us. As much as we love our place in Cairns Northern Beaches and just how lucky and fortunate we are to live here, we feel we belong in a city and Brisbane may just be it. And if all else fails, we have our place here. In the tropics. (Where it is 28 degrees today!)
15 comments:
Lovely review of the city, Melody.
Have you found Wes's "I Love Brisbane" website?
He writes about once a week on a different interesting feature and is well worth going through to find things to do if you are going to move there in the future.
What a terrific (and accurate) description of "my" city. Glad you enjoyed yourselves and yes you are completely right in saying the public transport is an issue...it will never live up to Melbourne's fantastic system in my opinon.
If you kept going on from the Story Bridge Pub (on the CityCat) you would have got to my old suburb before we moved north to the beach..it's just around the bend.
What suburbs are you looking at?
Oh here's the blog Jeanie is talking about...
http://ilovebrisbane.blogspot.com/
Brisbane looks lovely....A very beautiful city, Melody....I hope it all works out for you in the move there...It seems traffic is terrible wherever one is now....And here it is atrocious. I don't know what is going to happen to help these growing problems
in all the city's of the world...! It sounds like you've had a wonderful trip...I hope Monet is feeling much better now!
Melody from Melbourne! I love your pics. The pergula is gorgeous. My brother spent some time in Brisbane in the 70s. He loved it. I would love to visit some day.
What a wonderfully engaging description of Brisbane. I felt as if I took a short vacation there just with your words as my tour guide. Thank-you.
Oh, and the pictures are truly lovely.
Here from Michele's but glad I came....Loved this post..great pics...great discriptions of the city!
I also love your daughter's name..Do u pronounce the T at the end or not? My name is Monette..I pronounce the T's at the end..but on my birth certificate it is spelled Monet...mom wanted it to be shorter for me lol...and rules of pronounciations change with the ages..and areas of the world yada yada...either way, she has a lovely name lol.
I will be back for more of your blog for sure!! Take care..
Hope Monet is feeling better.
Lovely post and pictures, thanks for the tour! It seems you will enjoy living there :)
here via Michele's
As ever, great Pictures and description. I feel like I have had a little tour! It sounds like a lovely city adn if you end up living there I am sure that there is a lovely place just right for you all that you will soon make your very own.
Hope Monet is feeling much better now.
not a bad place to live at all!
PS according to my bloglines you have done another post, but blogger is not showing it. I recommend wordpress - click one button and it will import this whole blog for you!
Sounds like you'll be making a good move.
It's about 18 degrees here today, it hasn't stopped raining and we're in August, in Spain. I dread to think what the winter will be like.
Ahhh, Brisbane. When I lived there in 94/95 I did say the place would be hip-happening in about 10 years time.
Oh, and I know that pub Lyndon took you to!
As per the public transport, I remember it was such a shock to the system to find that there was only ever one train per hour!! The bus system was pretty good though.
What a great post Melody. The pictures are excellent and realy help us to get a feel for Brisbane.
It sounds to me like you will like it there very much.
Lovely post! I was in Brisbane for a few days about a hundred years ago and I loved your pics and 'travelogue'. Especially loved the "noice" LOL!
But ... but ... but ...
Your new home ?!?!? *sob*
What will you do with it ?!?!
Oh, i'm devastated .. because I know how excited and proud you were/are ... and now YOU'RE MOVING ??!
Post a Comment