I was born in Melbourne, well, on the outskirts and then grew up a good 140 kilometres away. All I ever wanted to do after secondary school, was move to where I felt I belonged. Melbourne. And I did. I moved back to the country after university to save money so I could travel to the UK, which I did. And when I returned I lived back in the country to save money to return to Melbourne. Which I did. And I never thought I would ever move away again. But I did. And I have no regrets.
Melbourne is a wonderful diverse city, one that is welcoming, even when it is like 9 degrees Celsius, and one that still feels right. But after 18 months away, it feels too busy, too big. And too cold. And I felt so small. I guess that is what living in Cairns does to you. But I still feel as if the city still welcomed me back with open arms.
Melbourne's culture is wonderful and the city skyline is picturesque. I guess that is part of the reason why I love it.
And there is always new places to explore and discover. Like the new(ish) bar nestled under Federation Square which is on the banks of the Yarra.
It felt 'so Melbourne', sitting outside, rugged up, underneath those large gas heaters drinking icy cold beer. And dressed in black. Black is 'very Melbourne', I don't care what anyone else says. And Melbourne is also 'oh-so-fashionable'. I felt a bit daggy sitting with my cardy, skirt, woollen tights and Mary Jane's (all black mind-you, so I was half-way there) and knitted scarf. And Monet too was dressed in fashionable black (long sleeved top, pinafore, leggings) and poncho. Once you leave Melbourne it is easy to reflect on how easy it is to get out of 'the loop'. I'm prattling on aren't I?
I guess the purpose of this post was for me to say that I do still love Melbourne but I can't imagine living back there again. It is a wonderful place to visit, to shop and to drink. It is a great city, one I am still tied to and who knows, maybe we might return one day. But I ain't in no hurry. Not yet...
11 comments:
I like that photo of the two of you. I don't know what daggy means, but you guys definitely look stylish.
Even though I was never born there, I did live there for a year and all the good things you say about the place is true.
The people are also very friendly, the social scene is great and the food - mmmmmmmmm.
Why did I leave? Well, I knew the winter was going to be horrid - but it just can't do summer properly either.
Oh, and the city was too small for an ex and I...
I feel cold looking at you two there, I want to know what Monet thinks of that weather considering she's lived here in Queensland so long now? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......
The photos in the last post are most certainly more appealing to me. I love the heat /hate the cold and I can feel the cold in these photots!
Mel-bourne...that is cute. You could also do a Bourne identity one like the movies. I love the night shot but it was really great to have a photo of you two girls out together!
This is cool--because I know absolutely nothing about Melbourne, except that flying there would take a long time. I find it interesting that dressing in black is very Melbourne because I always associate that with my visits to New York City.
Talking about weather, OMG I just saw the weather on the TODAY show...it will be 28deg in Cairns today (Friday) and sunny. You lucky devils, it's raining and very windy here but boy, do we need that rain. I've been watching my lawn for the last few days and I'm sure it's coming back to life :-)
Oh my! Look at the wonderfully stylish ladies. My city is also a very "dress in black" city, so this I understand. Great picture and once again, wonderfully engaging post.
I know exactly what you mean about liking a city but not wanting to live there again. I feel the same way about the places I lived and grew up in. I have an affinity, but I would never go back.
Love the pics! lack is my favourite colour for clothes so I guess I would fit right in there! LOL!
I love love love Melbourne! We have lots of family over there and I love visiting them and exploring the city and all the tourist-y bits. But... I love Perth more.
I love that photo. It's always soul-nourishing to visit old hometowns even if we've moved on.
Post a Comment