Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Absolute Power

Monet and I have not long returned from a little outing to the Barron River Power Station. To say that it was 'unreal' is a little bit of an understatement.

We had visited before, back in May last year. It was an impressive area then, with a big bridge/walkway over the Barron River's waters and boulders to the little power station there (a Hydroelectric station - pretty fascinating.) I can see today why that power station is where it is. Today it was pretty awesome.

And powerful.


Can you see what I mean?



The sound was so loud...

I was amazed by the absolute power of the water, the colour (dirt from the Tablelands) and just how scary it actually was. It is also a scary thought that this (dirty) water is being washed down the ocean/Great Barrier Reef, several kilometers away.



It did rain pretty much constantly overnight in the area I live, though Cairns Airport only (!) reported about 99mm overnight. I take it the Tablelands had more than us. When we woke this morning and travelled to Playgroup I could see that the Barron River was flooded, which is why I decided this afternoon to take a drive up to the power station.



Amazing stuff. (I don't even think there was any White Water Rafting happening today - way too dangerous, especially with the warning of Crocodiles being flushed down from the hills...)

10 comments:

Star said...

A always, beautful photos.Wht a lovely area you live it.

jeanie said...

Wow - that is awesome! I know that sound. Remember that in nature, water does get dirty.

Delane said...

Okay, I was picturing myself kayaking in that until you threw in the crocs.

Melody said...

Delane - I did actually think of you yesterday when I spied all that fast flowing water - knew you'd love to be in there, bar the crocs of course!

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Wow! That looks amazing!

It's actually raining in Melbourne today - first real rain in ages. It's a bit of a novelty here now.

Unknown said...

That third photo is great. I'd have enough trouble white water rafting without the crocs.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That IS Awesome! And rather scary. What was Monet's reaction? Was she kind of frightened or just in awe of it all?
And Crocs coming down from the mountains?? Oh Dear! Rafting wouldn't even cross my mind! (lol)

Bobkat said...

That is awesome. I can just imagine the noise! That water looks dangerous enough without crocs being thrown into the equation!

Anonymous said...

amazing dirty, angry water

Anonymous said...

Hello Melody
I'm a Cairns blogger too. I got onto you through the wonderful Jeanie.
I am keen to establish a Cairns bloggers group - maybe on face book or another social networking site. There's a few of us cairns bloggers around but we all seem to work in isolation.
If you are keen to join a local bloggers group, let me know