Friday, April 11, 2008

Six...

Look what Monet and I did the other day...


Yep. Made our own crayons.

Thanks to Matha Stewart via Kikimiss.

Very easy to do and a bit of fun was had by both Monet and I. But Monet is still not quite convinced that 'fat, round' crayons are for her. I will keep my eye out for some el-cheapo mini heart-shaped moulds that she should like.

Have you done anything 'crafty' lately?

13 comments:

Alison said...

Oh wow, how great do they look?! We'll have to give those a go.
The girls and I made bean bad comets yesterday, by filling the end of an old sock with dried lentils, sewing it up and tying a piece of rope on the end. They're great fun to throw and a washing basket is great target practice.

Anonymous said...

They look great.. good idea. My girls doing lots of drawing and colouring in lately.. bit of face painting but I'm not a real fan of that.

kristen said...

That is great. What a good idea. Love it.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

That is sooooo cool! How about doing them in icypole moulds so they are kind of fat but long too?

Offspring #2 has been very busy "tutting and doo-ing" with the 'see-zooorrrrs' (aka cutting and gluing with the scissors!) and Offspring #1 has been making beautiful goodbye cards for his teachers and special friends.

Melody said...

RDM - the moulds need to be oven proof, otherwise, not a bad idea!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What great fun! You might want to get that "Crafty" book by Rosie O'Donnell.....I saw her talking about it on one of the morning programs here in the states, and she evidentally was on Martha Stewarts TV Show, too....It does look like a terrific book filled with fun ideas of stuff to do with your kids....!

I always had a lot of trouble throwing out old crayons---I just couldn't do it...LOL! So, this would have been a fabulous thing to do with all of them!

Deana said...

Not crafty but I have been trying to be creative in the yard. Making new rock gardens, designing borders, planting annuals...and doing some lilies by the pond. I love all the colors and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Not much longer huh?

LBA said...

You can get long pencil molds from IKEA.

Great craft idea, BTW :)

Melody said...

H&B - No IKEA up here unfortunately. Boo-hoo!

Kiki said...

Hey....I was wondering if you were going to post some pics and I'm very glad to visit today to see you did. I never took any of mine as I was in such a rush to bundle mine up into little cellophane parcels. The recipients just adored them --- and as a result, the little Miss has been at me to make them again.

You should be able to find some silicone moulds (teddies, stars, hearts) at 'Crazy Clarks' type shops. Unless they're still making their way north ;-)

Melody said...

Kikimiss - thanks. I'll check out the old Crazy Clarkes and The Warehouse next time I venture instore...

Anonymous said...

Might have to invite some little ones over so I can give that a go!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hey Melody, I was waiting for a new post but ran out of time - the packers are in today and then my computer will be gone so...
HAVE A GREAT TRIP! Hope you make lots of wonderful memories together and I can't wait to see the photos and hear the stories.