I am dreading less, the 24 hour plane journey with a 3 and a half year old girl...
Over the past few weeks or so, I have been buying bits and pieces to entertain her on the long haul over to Europe. Hopefully she'll be satisfied with this gift, I plan to present to her next week...
What little girl would not like about 1000+ stickers, a couple of colouring books, a paper doll book, new assortment of textas, crayons, pastels and paper all presented in a handy Dora carry bag? I can picture myself this time next week helping colouring and drawing (a big, big past time in our abode as of late).
I have also started the dreaded job of organising and packing our luggage. We've decided to take our big backpack and one middle-sized suitcase, with a handheld suitcase to take on board. I can always purchase another if needbe to bring back with us. As H&B tells me, she's the Queen of Mean, when it comes to packing so I am trying to follow in her footsteps. Packing light has never been a talent of mine but I think I am getting there.
Queen of Mean...Queen of Mean...Queen of Mean...Queenofmean...QueenofMean....
13 comments:
Ooooh how exciting!
This big girl is very envious of your Dora bag. I hope it brings you all at least 24 hours of enjoyment.
Three essential items in our entertainment bag are pipe cleaners, straws and blue tack. There is nothing you can't make with these things.
You've probably already been told this lots of times...but the key with long plane trips and small children is to dish out the gifts one item at a time over a lot of hours. And wrapping a few up in wrapping paper, adds to the allure of the stickers/pens/book by the time you get to hour no.12...
Once attention wanes on one thing, voila...here's the next magically out of the bag. Of course, this plan depends on the child not actually realising there is more to come.
Wise Fairlie! I was about to say the same thing. Just little bu little to maintain the interest.
Oh yes, I did that at our wedding - I gave Monet a couple of gifts (wrapped) to get her through the day. I will wisely wrap up the 'stuff' and give her set by set over the course of the plane trip. Wise words my ladies... And Monet is pretty plane savvy, I have to say. This will be her 8th in 2 years - though, of course, never has she been on such a looooonnnngggg trip before....
Being the Queen of Mean when it comes to packing is a good plan as who knows what you will take home with you!
I don't envy you the job of keeping a 3 year old entertained for 24 hours. I am sure she will just love her gifts but hopefully she will sleep for some of the trip!
I have now finished my final MBA essay (completed last night at 12:10am - you are the first in blogland to know!) and so I will email you soon to see if I can't get myself to London during your stay in the UK.
Are you allowed to take a handheld suitcase on board? Isn't it all no water, no liquids (not even toothpaste!) and everything in a clear bag no bigger than A4??
How terribly exciting for you all. My sister in law has 4 kids and travels internationally all the time - she often gets upgraded to first class. Cross my fingers that you do too - there's just so much more room for kids and Mums.
I miss travelling...if only I could do it without those 12 hr hauls and the long waits in International airports!!!!
My girls were impressed
I have heard it said that after you finish packing you should go back and take a third of the stuff out, because you won't use it anyway. I can't do it. I am still stuffing things into nooks and crannies as we leave the house. i'm gald you are going first on the long plane ride. take notes for me as we have about the same flight with a 3 yr old in june.
Not having even done it for myself, let alone a child, all I can offer is a good luck!!
(PS I needed a whole campervan to get from one end of the country to the other - even got to take the kitchen sink!!)
lol at Queen of Mean - makes me sound like an evil tyrant {grin}
I'm not looking forward to my flight either - the firstborn just *loves* the toilets. Over & over & over again.... arghh !!
I'm hoping the on-board computer games will be to his liking and shut him up.
( oh! - and don't order the kiddy meals for Monet - just go regular adult... unless you want her eating nuggets, chips and chocolate for EVERY meal .. it's disgusting !! )
I love all the bits you've collected for her. Very similar to what we have nearly ready for our big drive next week.
We don't do the flying but we do make the 1600km two-day drive to Perth fairly regularly - lots of little bits doled out over time, lots of low/no sugar snacks, and regular enforced rest and nap times (eg after each meal they have to rest for a set period of time - it lets the little one sleep and the big one calm down, and usually sleep too! it also lets us have a bit of quiet time without DVD, kids CD's and constant chatter).
Just discovered your post. Love your ideas. I´m off the other way to Australia by myself with 2 girls aged 5 and 2. loved the sticker ideas. Congrats on surviving it and glad you enjoyed Europe.
Post a Comment