Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Things You See...

Sometimes you see some bizarre things in life that stick with you.  

When in Munich we were entering the English Gardens and saw a strange sight, but didn't really think much of it.  We wandered around a little part of the Gardens and admired its beauty...


...and discovered a fast flowing creek.  Really fast.  I guess with the heavy rain we had experienced the night before (listen to me, I sound like a Munich local!), the water must run down from the alps into the Gardens...

We decided to exit, following a path that would lead us to a street.  It was then we saw this site.

Surfer-dudes.
  

When we initially entered the Gardens we had sighted a couple of  'surfers', very bizarre considering we were in a city where the nearest beach I imagine is a several hundred kilometers away, let alone it be a surf beach!  There were at least a dozen of them, standing by a sign which to me, didn't 'look' promising...


But they surfed never the less...  I did do a little video of them surfing the 'drain/creek' but Blogger is being temperamental and won't let me post it, so instead, here are a couple more photos.  

(We worked out that someone had created a device that makes the water turn into a continuous wave with some cable tied from the bridge.)



Next stop? Venice, Italy. *sigh*

Stay tuned...

11 comments:

Alison said...

Oh wow! I can't surf, but still, how much fun does that look?!

Anonymous said...

Far out. What a scene stealer. lol, I just cannot imagine walking through serene gardens and running into surfers in their oils.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

That is truly bizarre...and quite cool.

I can't wait for Venice. *Sigh*

Anonymous said...

The skull in a black circle does not inspire confidence!

I loved the chocolate beetles...

Unknown said...

I can´t belive that this is just in the middle of the city. Whereabouts was it as I will definitley have to check it out. We have many streams around ehre as they all lead to the Danube. And whent he rains come we have some streams that are like rapids, which stupid people like my husband will try to go down them in dingys. The surfing looks more fun, though.

Deana said...

I would have loved to have watched those guys though. Surfers are just cool...and they are in such darned good shape! After a while I am sure their cockiness gets boring and you have to leave.

Emma-Kate Castricum said...

That it just the best set of pictures. I love it.
Em

Julie said...

Wow...who would have thought that you could go surfibg in the park! I love the photo's! x

Bobkat said...

How weird! It's not just that these dudes were surfing on that creek but that there are so many surfers so far from the coast!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that? Imagine, inland surfing. I think that is so awesome!

kurrabikid said...

Weird ... and wonderful!