It was a beautiful city, with some of the most bizarre weather we had ever seen (blue sunny skies one minute, the next a thunderstorm with heavy, heavy rain!), which reminded us of Melbourne. I guess that is part of the reason we enjoyed Munich too. We felt at home (of sorts).
We spent our two full days in the city, wandering the streets and enjoying what Munich city had on offer. We browsed the shop windows...
...enjoyed the flower boxes in bloom and the gardens within the city...
...looked up at the amazing buildings....
and bought ourselves a few little things. (So many shops!) I was lucky enough to score some new Birkenstocks, well, we were in Germany, the home of Birkenstocks!
There was a gorgeous market square at the eastern end of the city mall (called Viktualienmarkt) which was filled with a busy (busy) beer garden (with busty women holding like 8 'stein' glasses filled with Lager) and food stalls. Those Germans know how to do a good sausage!! Mmmm....
We visited a couple of Beer Halls during our stay (goes without saying really), with the most famous one, Hofbrauhaus, being our favourite. This beer hall has a long history too. I wonder how many of the tourists realised that it once housed a crowd who listened to a man giving speeches. The man? Adolf Hitler himself it seemed. But that didn't stop us enjoying the fine food on offer here, nor the lagers. I only had one 'stein' (1 litre) beer there which took me a while to drink I must admit... (It was soooo heavy to lift - impossible for me to lift the glass with one hand!)
Monet enjoyed this Beer Hall too (there were other kids around), especially when the 'Ompa-Lompa' band started...
Here's cheers to Munich, we will be back one day to wander your streets, shop in your shops, venture out to places we didn't get too and get to know you a little better...
5 comments:
That picture of you with the stein cracked me up :-)
You look to be managing it quite well!!!
Gorgeous photos, again. I am in love with that shop window!!
I love that you focus so much on the local food and drink in your posts. Too often, people travel and just end up eating the same stuff they would do at home.
That's a frightening looking mug of beer !
That is one big glass of beer! Well done for finishing it and still being able to stand! :D
Munich looks wonderful. I think I will have to add it to my list of places to visit.
Post a Comment