Friday, January 30, 2009

Flashback Friday - REM

The year of 1991 introduced me to the beauty of REM. I had known them years before in High School where the song 'Orange Crush' was taped off the Top 40 and replayed numerous times on a blank tape. 'Losing My Religion' really hit REM up towards the top and I loved that song. A lot.

However my main memory of REM was having the privilege of seeing them live at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in the summer of 1994/95. I had brilliant seats towards the front and enjoyed every moment of Michael Stipe's singing and dancing. Of course that summer, my favourite (REM) song was the following, 'What's the frequency Kenneth?'...



I still love it.

Not long after band members came and went and I still enjoy a few of their songs, but nothing like that summer of '94/95...

Excuse me whilst I go and re-listen to all those classic REM tunes....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that concert. Strangely enough, I recall liking the support act much better (Grant Lee Buffalo), because I couldn't stand that Michael Stipe read the lyrics off sheets of paper!! I thought that was soooooo lazy.

I saw REM at the Hammersmith Apollo with my mate JB a few years back and it was an absolutely brilliant gig. I then saw them at the Point Depot in Dublin the following week, and they were even better.

jeanie said...

Oh the woes of a country childhood. To learn that not only did I miss the opportunity for REM but also Grant Lee Buffalo.

I nurse my injured pride and curl up in my corner here!!

By the way - video wouldn't work?

Anonymous said...

Even a 'national' tour of Australia for a band like this means the closest concert is 1600km away!

I love the kenneth song too. Who is kenneth?

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Orange Crush was one of my favourite songs when I was at Uni. I think I still have an REM vinyl LP somewhere.

Kiki said...

Ohhh Melody...this almost deserves it's own post by me. You're really digging up some dirt for me now. I saw REM in 1989 - at the now bulldozed (sob sob) Festival Hall, Bris. What a night, what a year. I can't divulge too much but I will say I was discovering life after school and being my own person moreso. I was in love with Michael Stipe, gay or not.

I prefer the days of Murmur with Radio Free Europe; Life's Rich Pageant (still have on vinyl) with Fall On Me; and I still argue Eponymous is their best compilation album with all the greats listed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eponymous_(album)

Kiki said...

PS...I meant to say I have a strong liking for Grant-Lee Phillips of GLB (favourite album is Mighty Joe Moon "Honey Don't Think" aaaaah) which also brings me to another blast from the past, Bob Mould oh and another favourite The Jayhawks. See...I told you, post worthy really.

The late 80s-90s were a good time for music, for me.

kurrabikid said...

REM - yes, I loved them too. And Orange Crush was one of the songs that got this country kid into them (taped off the radio, of course). I had the privilege of seeing them perform at Stirling Castle in Scotland. Quite sensational.

PS: I agree with KikiMiss that Eponymous is the best...

Bobkat said...

I saw REM three years ago at a summer outdoor gig and it was fantastic and I also saw them at the birmingham NEC before that. They put on a great show :)

I love that track too but my fave is 'Man on the Moon'.