Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Want A Slice?

As my home city of Melbourne sweats at 43 degrees today, we are experiencing some lovely winter days here in the UAE.  

Yesterday I sat in our little backyard flicking through cookbooks whilst I let Monet loose with the hose.  We can do that here.  Be free with a hose and use as much water as we like.  (It is not uncommon to water out one's carport for example.)  The villas here have their own desalination plant, so I am lead to believe, so yeah Monet, go for your life...

She cleaned her cubby, sorry, I mean her 'shed' (trying to be like her Poppy and his shed!) then proceeded to wash her trike...


(It is a pity the kids in Melbourne can't be doing that today, without being 'dobbed in' by a neighbour!)

As I flicked through the cookbooks I found a sudden urge to bake a Pavlova so inside I went and whipped up one.  

Now, I grew up with a mother who always insisted that she could not bake a Pav.  She always blamed her oven.  She has had a few ovens over the years and never once did I see her even attempt to make a Pav, so I know it had nothing to do with one's oven.  When I stayed at my parent's back in November I made them a Pavlova to indulge in, in her year old oven, and it turned out lovely.  I wanted to show her that her oven could bake one .  

So I have this thing about baking a Pavlova to test out your oven.  All I can say is my new oven works a treat....


(I used this recipe)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic. I'm up late and working, and I could go for a slice of pavlova without a doubt.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

YUMMO! That's my favourite pav recipe.

Kiki said...

It sure bloody does work a treat! I'd love a piece right now. Love all the cream....and chocolate....and raspberries.

Alison said...

Oh yum. I love a good pav...and yours looks like it has just the right degree of cracking. I'm off to check out the recipe.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

THIS LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!!! I am unfamiliar with a Pavlova Cake---this is the first time I have heard of one or seen a picture of one! Yummy? I would think so..!
Can you make a Chocolate one?? LOL!

Anonymous said...

The pav looks delish, but I'm still getting over your statement about the water. When it comes to water usage -- or should that be wastage? -- the UAE has one of the worst records on the planet. Now I understand why. Just because it comes out of the sea and they spend a fortune desalinating it, doesn't mean it should be used for wasteful purposes -- like hosing down your carport! Sorry. Rant over now.

Ms Mac said...

I must say, it's because of you, dear Melody, that I took the plunge and baked a pavlova once. I haven't looked back since. And neither has Patrick, since he'smdecided to make it his signature dish. ;-)

My mother-in-law never baked pav because you can buy the shells so cheaply in the supeermarkets. They're good but they're not the same.

jeanie said...

I have never done a pav - mainly because I find it too rich and sweet - yours does look devine!

MissyBoo said...

My mother always insisted she could not bake a pavlova... actually my mother always insited she could not bake full stop!

I've never done a pav before though yours looks so yummy I might give one a go :-)

Stacey said...

Stunning pav - and I'm a conniseur of pavs.