I couldn't drive straight away, due to having to give the car rental company proof of my UAE licence. We did that today.
My first car drive was around the villa compound, then a drive to the little Spinneys supermarket.
I have been a passenger for the past three months so I have a pretty good idea of what it would be like to be driving on the right-hand side of the road. It was like I always have driven this way, seriously.
I offered to take Lyndon to (and from) the Shangri-La so he could have a beer. (You can never drink and drive over here. The UAE have a zero alcohol tolerance.) I did rather well, but will need to get a little practice in heavier traffic around round-abouts before I get too cocky!
I wonder where I'll head off driving to tomorrow? It is a great feeling now I know I have a little more freedom!
(Photo below taken at the Shangri-La Pool Bar, which is where we were today...)
6 comments:
Oh kewl! Re-found freedom! Enjoy :-)
And I love the zero tolerance. Very kewl.
Oh, that is very exciting...to have a licence to tootle around - it will give you so much more independence and freedom! But driving on the wrong (right) side of the road??? I'd be having kittens. My brother's tip is to shout "BIG LEFT" everytime you have to turn left to remind yourself where you need to end up!Sounds like you have it all under control though.
Oh wow - the freedom!!!
Driving on the wrong side also means remembering to hop into the wrong side to drive - something my father learned when he hopped into the automatic he hired in USA, took off the parking brake and suddenly realised he didn't have pedals or a steering wheel.
Oh well done you - I'll bet there'll be no stopping you now! And Happy Birthday to you - have a fab year!
Watch out Mark Weber! LOL!
Freedom! Good on you. It's so nice to have independence at your fingertips.Sounds like you've taken to the wrong side of the road like a duck to water :)
Post a Comment