Saturday, April 25, 2009

First Week Down

Our first full week of Nursery School has now come and gone.  

It feels quite the 'norm' now for Monet and I to be out the door just after 7:30; me driving up the road (in horrendous traffic, let me tell you - some of the road designs in Abu Dhabi make you scratch your head and say 'Why the f**k would they design it like that?'), taking Monet into the building and saying goodbye.  

When I got to pick her up, leaving home at around 1:30pm and greet her out in the playground, with her being not-so-keen to come home.  She *loves* it.  She truly does and with that was a great relief for both Lyndon and I.


Yesterday afternoon saw her backpack stuffed with her folder of stuff done for the week.  If anything, I would say that what she is doing in class is more like 'Prep' stuff, rather than Kinder.  Practicing letters, numbers, dot-to-dot, colouring etc.  Each A4 piece of work is ticked by her teacher, 'Mrs Vicky', and things written like 'Great Work', 'Fantastic' etc., etc.,  

'Mrs Vicky' even said to me (I have bragging rights here) that it is good Monet is only coming for one term (Eight-week Summer holidays begin first week of July) as otherwise she'd be 'bored senseless - she is way ahead of the other students'....  Obviously the past 4 and a half years spent having constant one-on-one time, I was doing something right. (Well, that's what I like to think *heehee*)

Monet comes home one happy little girl.  She sings to us the songs she has sung during the day and is keen to go upstairs and play (and I actually don't mind going and playing with her for a while either.)  She's been in bed and asleep at around 8:30pm each night too, which is an achievement in itself for us, as she tended to be a bit of a night owl, but not anymore.  *fingers crossed*  (She still gets the 6 o'clock grumpies but hey, I let it pass, due to knowing she's tired.)

Lyndon and I  decided to reward her for great behaviour and a great first week.  


She's been 'bike-less' for a couple of months now with her Princess bike broken and beyond repair.  As her little friends in the street ride around she looks at them with envy, but not any more.  We try and not spoil her, not buying her any more than I would have when living in Cairns, but sometimes it is nice to lash out and buy something  just because.

Happy child = Happy parents...

9 comments:

Alison said...

Wow - What an exciting new adventure for all of you!!!
Glad it is suiting her so well.. and nice work with the 4 and 1/2 years of one on one!!!

Anonymous said...

I love her Miffy shirt.

I'm so pleased she settled quickly and easily. It makes your life so easy when that happens.

Star said...

I love that photo. Good for all of you, settling into life so well in a new place.

M said...

So great that she's had a fabulous first week. It bodes well for the future.

jeanie said...

How excellent that she is enjoying - nothing nicer than them wanting to stay at the end of the day!

Nice bike. My word verification is "stedee" - may Monet always be!

MissyBoo said...

Love the new bike. Its so great when your child settles well into somewhere without you. They have fun, and you don't feel guilty :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful that Monet is LOVING School so much. And I believe you are right that spending four years of One-On-One time with her has served her BEAUTIFULLY....She no doubt learned so very much from and with you....! So pat yourself on the back, my dear!
That is one BEAUTIFUL Bike. Congrats to her on being able to ride, once more....!

Bobkat said...

I am so glad she loves going to school. I bet it was that one on one time you spent with her. I did a little child psychology at Uni and that sort of thing really cna make a difference!

She looks like a very happy little girl on her new bike and such a smart one too :)

Delane said...

congratulations on the great start. It's amazing to me that Monet is that big now. You guys have done an amazing job and it shows.