Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Pain In The Tooth!

Monet may be fine now (even though we had to take her off her medication - she was going crazeeee...) but it is my turn now.  Not that I am 'sick' and my pregnancy is going along well (29 weeks today!).  My problem has to do with this bloody mouth of mine.  Dental problems.  

No wonder Monet has had trouble with her teeth when she has Lyndon and I as parents.  (Poor #2!) 

My greatest fear is going to the dentist.  Silly I know, but I just don't like people looking in my mouth and then looking in my wallet for the payment.  Both seem to hurt.  But enough was enough and I had to bite the bullet.  Literally...

Since being pregnant with #2 my teeth became all sensitive.  I tried all different type of sensitive toothpastes, which helped somewhat.  Though in the past few weeks I had been finding it hard to chew and if you know me, well, I love my food and the thought of not being able to eat a full meal was killing me.  Then about 12 days ago I felt something lodged in my tooth (thankfully a side-to-the-back-one).  I pried it with my tongue, and what do you know?  Part of my tooth fell out.  There was only one word I said and we can all guess what that word was.  (Begins with an 'f' and ends in a 'k' - yes, feck!)

I rang the dentist at our local hospital and made an appointment - I knew I couldn't live with a gaping hole in my tooth when pregnant and I knew I would get toothaches.  I was right on that, let me tell you!

So last night was D-Day for me.  I faced my fear.  I went in.  I told the dentist I was scared.  He (tried) to be gentle on me and my tooth.  With as little pain killer as possible he went in and said two words I was dreading .... "root canal".  F**k.  

I'd rather give birth than have a root canal.  At least when you give birth you get a wonderful present at the end.  With a root canal you get pain and a hefty bill.  Hey, I guess both are quite the same aren't they when I put it like that...  

He put in something to kill the nerve in my tooth (my God it hurt! - remembering I had minimal pain relief!) and I have to return late next week to begin the root canal which he will do slowly over time.  

So much to look forward to.  (Aren't you glad it is me and not you?)

9 comments:

Red Dirt Mummy said...

OUCH! Sending lots of sympathy and 'hope you feel better soon' thoughts. I'm terrified of the dentist and haven't been in longer than I'm willing to admit. I am going to have to face up to the fear soon...

Marianne said...

Dont do it Melody, they are a waste of money, you will have to have the tooth ripped out anyway.
Yuck, id rather give birth than that.

Melody said...

Gee Marianne, you sound like mum. I always thought it was better to try and save your tooth rather than have it ripped out! I don't want a gapping gap in my mouth (you;d see if I smiled) and I don't want no falsey.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I had one last year...and possibly another to look forward to this year. A root canal that is, not the baby.

Such a lot of time to spend in the chair.

You have my sympathy.

kimbofo said...

Ooooh, pity you don't live here and go to my dentist. He is *wonderful*. He has a policy of non-invasive dentistry and he is so kind and patient and won't do anything major unless he absolutely has to.

He thought he might need to do a root canal on one of my upper molars two years ago because I was experiencing a lot of pain in that tooth, especially at 3 or 4 in the morning. (Apparently that's a sign that your root is dying if the tooth pain wakes you up in the early hours.)

But he was reluctant to do one, so he did an ultra deep filling instead and told me to come back if i was still having pain.

The pain came back a year later, but he did x-rays that showed the root was still ok, so he told me to brush with sensitive toothpaste and stop drinking acidic drinks (ie. pineapple juice). And guess what, the pain went away and I haven't been back.

I reckon if I'd gone to someone else I would have had no choice but to have a root canal -- and yet the tooth is actually OK.

Good luck!!

Melody said...

Kimbofo - makes it a little more difficult as I am unable to have an x-ray (due to being preggers) and I have been in pain for too long...

MissyBoo said...

Poor you! I am beginning to wish I had my tooth ripped out... I must have the longest ongoing root canal in history, its been a year of still trying to save my tooth! Maybe next month it will finally be over - but I'm seriously doubting it! Hoping yours will be a much better experience!

Delane said...

ah man, that's terrible. Good luck (glad that Monet is better though)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I really understand how you feel about dentists...AND "Root Canal"....I have had "Root Canal" in every tooth in my head starting at 12 years old....For YEARS, I had a "Root Canal" Dentist---that is all he did. So, I have great empathy for you my dear...I truly do. Some of us are born with teeth problems---as was the case with me...And that becomes "Your Cross To Bear"....You were certainly right to go in when you did....! Hopefully the rest of the treatment will not be too horrible.....My thoughts and prayers are with you and dear little Monet.