Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Taste of Rainbow.

I don't know what has happened lately, but I've been baking, baking, baking.  I've baked Pavlovas for neighbours...


...along with other bits and pieces I have been sharing (with two neighbours in particular, who seem to thrive on what I am baking!), including this yummy Apple Custard Tea Cake.


I have now even got Monet in on the act. She enjoys helping me and I have learnt to become more patient with her helping me.  

Yesterday I gave her the choice in helping me make either a 'Marble Cake' (ie, white, pink & choc) or a Rainbow Cake (using all the colours of the rainbow).  You can guess what she choose.

A simple cake which she helped measure and place the ingredients in my faithful mix master.  She particularly loves to sift the flour (I remember loving that job as a child too) and then hand mixing, without help from me.  We divided all the mixed raw ingredients into seven little bowls and I dyed them, with Monet mixing...


...We then placed teaspoon after teaspoon of mixed coloured ingredients into the cake tin and baked for an hour.

We frosted with chocolate icing and coloured sprinkles for a true rainbow effect, which kept the girl happy.  Tastes pretty darn good too...


16 comments:

Kiki said...

Melody, it looks awesome....really great colours. So great that you've got the baking urge still and I hope it continues.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I looks magnificent baked - not too sure about how it looks raw in the mixing bowl, though...

kurrabikid said...

Can I move in next door?!!

(PS: lots of baking over here too. Shaun's starting to think it's an evil conspiracy on my part to make his belly look as big as mine...!)

Jo said...

A ha! You have just given me the perfect idea for the school holidays.

Are they little chocolate stars on the pav?

Star said...

What fun. I used to make a rainbow cake with my girls. We poked holes in a cooled yellow cake and poured different color jello in them.

Marie said...

Mmmmmm! Doing a little nesting, Melody?

kimbofo said...

That rainbow cake looks vaguely familiar!!

Love the little choccie stars on the pav. Yum. Must get around to making my own pav now I have new electric beaters (yet to be used) and a nice new oven! Maybe next weekend.

Stacey said...

The first two look lovely. Not so sure about the rainbow cake though! I dont think I could get past the colours...

Sarah said...

thanks for the idea to keep the kids entertained for today...

jeanie said...

Oh yum - I made a few rainbow cakes in my time - it is super fun as a kid!!

BTW - something for you at my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh that apple tart looks DIVINE. Yum!

MissyBoo said...

Is this your idea of nesting??? :)

I am going to steal your rainbow cake, next time I have 2 cooking helpers at my house

Bobkat said...

What a colourful cake. It looks so yummy but if I ever come over for tea I have my eye on that Pavlova :) Yum!

Sorry I haven't been over much lately. I have felt so ill until very recently.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

mmm I am so hungry now for pavlova and ...
I would love a rainbow cake for my birthday ...it's Wednesday .

I wonder can you get natural rainbow colours.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

:PVE that Swirly Colorful Cake, my dear....Very Very Imaginative! And I bet it taste good, too! YUM, YUM, YUM!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That should read "LOVE"...My typing is getting worse by the day...LOL!