Sunday, November 01, 2009

Halloween. (Remind me to go away next year.)

It wasn't that bad really, my post title may suggest otherwise.  I just think I was taken by surprise just how many 'Trick or Treaters' there were!  You have no idea... You would think that we had relocated ourselves in the U S of A, rather than being slap, bang in the middle of the United Arab Emirates.

Lyndon had scored himself a one day ticket to the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix (and he *loved* it, even better than the Melbourne event which we've been to a number of times) so it was I who had to be giving out the 'treats' to the kids who came a knockin'.  

It had been organised over the last couple of weeks, by a couple of ladies in our street,  fliers which were given out to every home in our compound.  If you wanted to join in the festivities, the flier was to be posted on your door. This way if you didn't want to join in, you wouldn't get any unwanted 'trick or treaters'.  A good idea which I think worked well.  

As most people here in our street are rather 'social' (to say the least) I decided to sit outside with the neighbours and Lily in the pram next to me.  Monet was taken around with her little bestest bud and her mother.

Here were my girls;  Monet wanted to be a witch (of kinds) and I stuck a pair of bunny ears on #2 - not too pleased obviously.


The 'Trick or Treaters' were to 'door knock' between the hours of 4:30-6:30, and let me tell you, at 4:30 there was an onslaught of children, of all ages.  Oh.  My.  I have never seen so, so many dressed up children - the noise was amazing! (And kinda like my worst nightmare.)  I would say that I would have seen at least 200 children!  I was prepared with a big bag of 'treats'; more so than a few of my neighbours!  

It looked like everyone had a great time, especially the children.  Monet came home with her buddy EXHAUSTED!  (Yee-har!)  And with her bag over flowing with 'treats' or 'caaaannndeeee'!  

Lyndon too came home exhausted and buzzing with excitement.  He thought the F1 Yas Marina track was awesome and we're looking forward to watching the race in an hour.  (It is being shown on a local Sports channel here - along with Arabic commentary! Terrific.  Makes for interesting viewing...)

8 comments:

ThirdCat said...

I had no idea either - my boys came home with around five kilos of caandee between them - I could not believe it.

MissyBoo said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Monet makes a gorgeous witch, and Lily... well I'm sure in time she'll grow to love the bunny ears ;)

Delane said...

How cool, Monet's costume looks awesome.

Bobkat said...

Halloween isn't such a big event in the UK (though the allure of free sweets is catching on) so I only had one bunch call. Monet made a great (and sweet) witch : )

Anonymous said...

Poor Lily. She wore the ears, but didn't get to partake of the candeeee!

kimbofo said...

I love this picture! It's going to be one of those ones that will come out at Lily's 21st birthday! Hehehe.

I was in New York last Halloween (2008) and it was quite exciting, because all the shops/cafes/restaurants had fabulous displays.

This year we were in Edinburgh and they had the most amazing fire festival on the Saturday night -- everyone was walking up and down the Royal Mile in very scary costumes! See these pictures on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/edinburghandeastscotland/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8336000/8336451.stm

kimbofo said...

Looks like the link didn't work. Here it is again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/
edinburghandeastscotland/hi/
people_and_places/
arts_and_culture/
newsid_8336000/8336451.stm

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your two girls look adorable...Indeed, #2 does not look too happy,(lol) but those are darling Bunny Ears. Monet's Costume is BEAUTIFUL!
200 kids??? That is overwhelming...but it sounds lile it was fun, too! My doorbell never rang once, I am pleased to say...though I didn't think it would. No one has come around for the last 7 or 8 years....But, I did have a Halloween Kadies Who Lunch on the Thrsday before Halloween...Parts One & Two are posted!