We've got some amazing buildings here in Abu Dhabi. Even though Dubai seems to get in the news all the time about their amazing buildings (which there are plenty of), Abu Dhabi is coming into it's own in construction. And being married to someone in construction, I too get to appreciate certain aspects of buildings.
One building, which is one (of many) of my all time favourite buildings, from anywhere in the world, is right here in Abu Dhabi, located on 30th Street. Capital Gate. A building built with a delibrate 18 degree lean/curve, over 4 times more than the Leaning Tower of Pisa! It stands at an impressive 160 metres in height (about 35 stories high).
Considering I took that photo when driving past as a car passenger, I think I did capture the 'curve' of the building. It is pretty amazing (the building, not the photo) and thought I'd do some 'pop art' with the photo. *heehee*
The final building is not far from hand-over and is going to house Abu Dhabi's newest Hyatt Hotel, and have plenty of office space too. It is owned and is joined to the ADNEC (Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Companies) building next door.
It is one of those buildings you have to see to believe (and there are plenty of those here!) The thing too about Capital Gate, is that it looks different from wherever you get to see it - at some angles it certainly looks like it could topple over and at others it looks completely straight. Just amazing....

3 comments:
I too thought it was amazing when I saw it I thought how did they build it ,and it looks like a great big gumboot!
I saw something about it on National Geographic Channel a few months back - something about amazing buildings or something and how that one was almost impossible to do but the owners just kept throwing money at people and saying, "do it!" Looks like they did...!
When I say do, I mean build. Sorry for a linguistically (?) crap comment. Child hasn't slept all day and I'm exhausted (she probably is too...).
Post a Comment