Friday, August 05, 2011

Berliner Mauer

One thing we had noticed around Berlin, was this double cobblestone line, on the ground, that we would randomly spot. The penny dropped when we spotted this sign, literally less than 100 metres from our apartment...


The cobblestone path follows where the Berlin wall once stood. ...

There was a section of a couple of hundred metres away from our apartment.  It was quite spine shivering to see, especially when we learnt that behind this section the Gestapo headquarters and the SS central command of Nazi Germany were housed there.  All that is left of that evidence is empty shells of the original building with an exhibition...  Scary stuff.


Very strange to remember that Berlin was once divided and run by two different governments and not that long ago; communism and capitalism.  The city now is so vibrant and has a special warmth and unity about it that we really liked.  Despite all it's horrific and 'cold' history, it is hard to believe that the past had happened on the grounds we had walked and visited.


I particularly like this section of wall below, housed on it's original standing at Potsdamer Platz.  It is dotted with...chewing gum....noice.


The wall which divided the city ran for 150 kilometres.  There were times that MrL and I got confused which section was west and which section was east as the wall zig-zagged around the streets.

We knew a visit to the East Side Gallery was a must.  It is the longest section of wall still remaining (1.3 kilometres) and is drenched in over 100 colourful murals, which make it the world's largest open-air gallery.  It was painted by a big handful of international artists who each translated their own vision of the era. The whole thing got a total makeover in 2009, 20 years after the beginning of the gallery, and after years of people signing their favourite picture, but now looks as good as it ever has apparently.

A short train ride and we were there.  And it was worth visiting...


We were glad we got there early, so we only had to share 'the wall' with a few other people and not bus loads of people...



The following mural seemed plastered all over Berlin, printed on tshirts and magnets.  A pretty famous image...


I love this section of the following section of wall I spotted...all in all, you're just another brick in the wall...


The below image was plastered over Berlin too!  It was printed on bags and magnets to everything in between.  It is a 'Trabant Car', or Trabi as they are fondly known as, there in Berlin...


And here are your three girls - one was particularly unhappy at the time, but she got over it. ;)



No visit to Berlin is complete without having a wander alongside the Gallery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what to say about the wall.I guess you needed to see it . I'm sure it will imprint on your mind for a long time....

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is fascinating. I was unaware of this section---though I do have a dim memory of reading something about it a very long time ago, I've never seen any photographs of the "art"....Love all your pictures, my dear...It gives one a real sense of 'the place'....!

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I did German at school right up to the end of Yr 12...and I had a complete fascination with the Wall. I have always regretted I didn't see it intact - not that I wish it still was...just that I didn't see it when it was. But I think I'd be just as fascinated to see what is there now.

(Man, that was a rambling comment. Perhaps it would have made more sense if I'd translated it into German!?)

kimbofo said...

Love the piccies... especially the last panoramic ones.