The next thing you have to decide when on after you choose what type of accommodation is what area you are going to stay in. In the city centre? In an inner suburb? Close to all the hot spots?
After umming and ahhing about Berlin, we settled on Checkpoint Charlie Apartments.
| Checkpoint Charlie Apartments, the grey building. Our apartment was on the right hand side, four windows up. |
| Thanks for MrL for this pic he took on his camera... |
That's the now-kitschy, Checkpoint Charlie, awash with tourists. (Us included.) For those of you unsure what exactly this is, it has to do with the Berlin Wall. Shortly after the wall was erected, US President Kennedy ordered three border control points along the wall. Checkpoint Charlie became the most famous as it was the only one designated for foreigners, diplomats and members of the Allied Forces.
There isn't much left of the original point. In it's place is a small gate house (I doubt it is original), a row of sandbags and some actors posing as US Military, whom you can get a photo taken with, at a price of course!
We actually saw a guy 'planking' on those sandbags. =)
It is pretty impressive to see and to remember the Cold War. There is huge murals near the Point explaining facts about the Berlin Wall and of Checkpoint Charlie itself. Quite Educational.
MrL and I did have a giggle at one point as we were looking at a map of what we were looking at. As we were looking at the marker point which read 'You Are Here', Monet became quite confused. "How does the map know we are here?" Maybe you had to be there but that had MrL and I quite close to tears.
6 comments:
I'm loving these holiday posts. It looks like you had an amazing time :)
Interesting ,place to see by the looks of it.
I'm loving your German trip! I went to Checkpoint Charlie over 20 years ago, and it looks completely different, apart from the sign. I seem to remember going into a cute museum, which showed you all the ways people busted out form East to West. Cars and suitcases and stuff. it was fascinating.
Sounds like a perfect choice for your stay in Berlin. Now, Checkpoint Charlie, that I remember hearing about any number of times--I know it was included in quite a few films that took place during and after the Cold War---Very Very Interesting, my dear!
Wow - this is way more touristy than when I was there in 1998. I can't believe they have "soldiers" there for you to pose with!! How tacky.
You'll have to read The Spy Who Came In From the Cold now...
I forgot to say that the comment by Monet cracks me up too. Poor girl, it must have been very confusing for her! :-)
Post a Comment