Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Buying the Shirt Off My Back...(sorry, I mean Skirt!)

My little business is 'booming' here in Abu Dhabi.  I haven't sold a lot like it might sound but in the past week alone, I have sold roughly eight, with five pending and I had previously sold about six before I started to let people know.   I'm pretty rapt with myself.  Considering I made up my own pattern and had help via an Aussie mate over here and my English next door neighbour in regards to sizing, I reckon I'm doing okay. 

My little sewing quarters is my sweat shop.  I do have aircon in there so that's always handy.  I can practically sew my skirt design with my eyes closed and find if I do a group of skirts of the same fabric at the same time, I feel like I achieve a lot more once they're all finished at the same time.  

I still love my little camel and have sold a couple of these skirts.  


What really set the ball rolling with my selling, is my next door neighbour returned the gate key we lent her when we were away (so she could use the pool).  I was wearing one of my skirts with the Eiffel Tower embellishment, when she stopped what she was saying and said how much she loved my skirt.  When I said I made it and then showed her my little stock pile of skirts she instantly bought one.  (Awesome neighbour hey?  She's bought another two in the meanwhile...)  She is also doing a little PR work for me (*heehee*) by wearing her skirts to where she's meeting other women and telling them to look me up.

Well today I finished sewing three skirts of this fabric below.... I call this skirt my Pop Face Skirt.  It isn't for everyone and yeah, it's bright, it's bold, but I just love it...




Maybe I should say, I loved it.

My hairdresser arrived this afternoon to cut my hair and instantly noticed my skirt and claimed at how much she loved it.  She had a look through my stock but was oohing and ahhing over the skirt I had on.  She tried on the other sizes of my remaining two Pop Face Skirts, but they didn't fit correctly.
"Would you like to try this one on?" I asked....
"Can I?" she said surprised...
It fitted perfectly.
"SOLD" we laughed.
She literally bought the shirt skirt off my back.  I am a good saleswoman.  =)

Guess I'll be off to buy more of the same fabric then.  I want one of those skirts again!  Busy, busy.

5 comments:

kimbofo said...

That's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

It's so good to know that the skirts are selling . maybe you wont be paying for your next haircut, just by bringing out another skirt!.......ha.ha.

Missy Boo said...

Well done! I LOVE your pop face skirt, too :)

Tamsyn said...

I love how your skirt making business is taking off! Well done :)

Ms Mac said...

Well done, Melody. Keep on keeping on!