One thing we noticed was how nice it was to have a city full of beautiful, big, green trees. They lined the main shopping streets and covered over the main tourist mecca, called La Rambla.
La Rambla was about a 15-20 minute walk from our apartment. The first time we saw it, we were amazed and soaked it all in. Even at 9am in the morning it was getting busy. We learnt that day though, to try and avoid the strip, due to what seemed like a million people who pounded that section of the city. Kind of our idea of hell on earth. But without the hoards of people, it was beautiful...
There was a lot of little stalls dotted along La Rambla - selling everything from souvenirs, to sweets, to pet budgies. There was also annoying men, trying to sell these stoopid annoying bird whistles - why anyone would want one is beyond me...
We're not really into buying a lot of souvenirs (nor sending postcards for that matter)...
We were keen to see a famous fresh food market we were told about, La Boqueria.
Located along La Rambla, I have never seen a market quite like this in all my life. I have seen a variety of fresh food markets across certain sections of the world, but never had I seen row after row of fresh, air-dried Jamon hanging like this... In Barcelona, you get quite used to it - it is everywhere! I guess the market wasn't really one for die-hard vegetarians...
But the fresh fruit, ohh the fresh fruit displays were, in a word, AWESOME!
The girls selected a little platter of fresh fruit each and then we chose a fresh fruit juice each. At 1.5 Euro, it was pretty good value. The juices were all made on site and the varieties were irresistible. I think Monet raved about hers for at least two hours afterwards (she chose Strawberry and Pineapple) and Lily seemed to enjoy the drink I chose for her, Strawberry and Coconut. Yummoh.
You must visit the market if you ever find yourself in Barcelona. No doubt you will find yourself there anyway, you don't need to me to tell you.



5 comments:
I love the flower stall, what beautiful colours, all the street is with so much to take in,thanks for the memories Melody it is good to see it all again.
I love visiting food markets overseas. These ones look slightly more orderly than the Vietnamese ones!
That stall full of flowers had me at hello too. I wish there were markets like that here in the burbs :)
Made us realise how lucky we were to have Rusty's Fresh Fruit Market in Cairns. However, there was never any awesome displays like what we saw in Barcelona...
That street is soooo very charming---even with lots of people...But I can see that wgen there are less people it would be truly a special treat. GORGEOUS Flowers! I would find them irresistable...!
BEAUTIFUL Market, too....!
Post a Comment