Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Poorly Christmas

We had plans this year to spend Christmas Day lunch at the Saadiyat Gold Club with a handful of friends, but the four people in this household had to cancel.

Monet was ill for four days, which wasn't fun for the seven year old.  The 'four day tummy bug' has been going around and it seems to have missed the rest of us here, which is a good thing.  Lily though has a sore throat and a head cold and a voice that sounds like Donald Duck, but she is now slowly on the mend after sharing the head cold with me.  She's been sleeping solidly which is fabulous, considering on her first night of a sore throat she was awake and crying after every sleep cycle (ie. every 40 minutes).

Santa still dropped off presents for our girls, which was just as well!  It took Lily a little convincing that 'Santa' wasn't hanging around downstairs when she came down and then after she spied what he had left,  spent the rest of the day saying that 'Santa is a good boy'.  Her little wooden kitchen was a hit.  Monet laid on the couch as MrL put together a beautiful little dolls house for her, poor poppet.

One positive thing, living in a Muslim country is that all the shops are open on Christmas Day.  So as we cancelled our Christmas Lunch outing, MrL went and bought a rolled pork, a chicken, a bottle of champagne and other bits and bobs.  So whilst the girls napped, and both without appetite, MrL and I sat and drank and ate.

A very different Christmas and we will look back in years to come and talk about Christmas 2011.

This following photo was taken at a Christmas Party a week previously.  


We hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and everyone was fit and healthy, which is more than what I can say about my little family here in Abu Dhabi.  =)

8 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, that is a different Christmas, but it still sounds like it was quite wonderful anyway....
My dear kitty "Sweetie" has not been well---he is still in the Hospital recovering from a very serious operation. So, this was a strange kind of Christmas here in Los Angeles, too.

Stomper Girl said...

Sorry to hear that the girls were ill for Christmas; here's to a happy and healthy new year then!

jeanie said...

Oh that's not good - although I did giggle that, because of the muslimnicity of your area you got to go to the shops on Christmas Day - but you got PORK? Is that irony?

Chose another Christmas day - you deserve it.

Star said...

What a lovely photo. Glad you are all on the mend. I have my grand kids for the weekend so I am wishing you a Happy New Year a bit early. in case I don,t get to visit between now and then.

Tamsyn said...

I hope you're all feeling better now xx

Kiki said...

Hello lovelies
Don't you look lovely here and I suspect you are wearing a M&L Threads skirt? I hope everybody is feeling much better by now and enjoying the beginning of 2012.

x

Imaginography said...

I hope they are both much better now and enjoying what Santa bought them! :)

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Oh dear. That's no good at all. But, you will certainly remember this Christmas for years to come!

Hope everyone has recovered now.