Saturday, April 14, 2007

All The Way To Millaa Millaa

Ever since moving up here to Cairns a year ago, I have been wanting to visit Millaa Millaa Falls, a good hour and a half (at least) drive south west of here. You can buy postcards up this way with the Falls on the front and it looks beautiful and very, very photogenic.

Well, I can tell you, it is a beautiful place because Lyndon drove us there today... *yippee*

Having a full day on a Saturday with Lyndon are pretty rare (he usually works till about 6am till about 1:30 on a Saturday), but he had today off and wanted to do something. A family drive was in order.

I was glad to hear that Lyndon thought he might drive to Atherton then across to Millaa Millaa. (We had to avoid the notorious Gillies Highway somehow! In case you don't know, the infamous 'Gillies' is the Highway from hell - it is such a windy road throughout the mountains I have never, ever felt sooo carsick before! Urgh. The thought of that road makes my stomach churn, especially when I look at that photo of that Meat Pie Pizza from my last post!!)

Let me tell you, the little hamlet of the Falls name sake was a sorry place. Everything and everyone had seemed to have moved on. The cute little, yellow cheese factory was boarded up, along with the bakery. But the Falls, less than 5 minutes drive from the hamlet was jaw dropping. So, so beautiful.

Here, see for yourself...

Pretty hey? Doesn't look real does it?


And because you've all been loyal readers, here is a piccie of Monet and I in front of the Falls (lucky you hey?!)
Where did your last drive take you?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Falls look great Melody, must go sometime. My last drive - to work and back, 15ks each way.

Sarcasmo said...

No where as nice as that. I love waterfalls, and that one is beautiful. Nice backdrop for the photo of you and Monet.

Star said...

Melody- that last comment was from me. I was signed into my daughters google page. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Wow those falls are incredible. You're right, they are photogenic! And look at you...I am so happy to have a picture of you. You are stunning! What a great day it looks and sounds like you had.

kimbofo said...

Drive? I can't even remember the last time I was in a car!!

My last cycle took me to work -- which is about 10.5km.

Love the falls, by the way. And the pic of you and Monet is very sweet!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is fantastic....It does look unreal...But you and Monet look very very real! (lol) A dear picture.

Jennifer said...

That's a gorgeous picture...and I was delighted to see a shot of you...I don't think I've ever "seen" you, and you're so pretty!! :) Thank you for sharing!!
My last drive took me way far away, eh? ;)

Diane said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

I friend of mine just returned to California from 3 weeks in your lovely country and had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Oh, glorious waterfall - never been to Australia, but it's on my list of "places to go someday."

Pat said...

When we visited our family in Sydney we spent a couple of weeks in Queensland - Port Douglas I think it was - but somewhere amongst all the albums there is a photo of those falls. Thanks for the memory Melody.
Michele says good morning!
.

Unknown said...

Two great photos. And no, the first one doesn't look real, but I'll take your word for it. And you're looking very stylish - several steps up from me in my gardening gear and wellies!

Marie said...

Beautiful!!! So sweet to see Monet & Mum, too!!

Anonymous said...

You guys have so many different awesome places within driving distance. The photo with the falls in the background is fantastic.

I just drove 200 miles to the Pisqah National Forrest to go kayaking in the mountains, then drove home, only to drive 200 more miles to meet my sister-in-law halfway so that she could pick up our nephew. Lots of driving last week.

Anonymous said...

Melody that waterfall is beautiful...and I get a pic of you with Monet to boot!

That windy road you describe actually sounds pretty good to the biker in me :)