Saturday, October 24, 2009

Big (little) Sister

Once we had Lily, Monet didn't seem so small any more.  After all, she had a new status of 'Big Sister'.  Her head, all of a sudden, seemed big to me, her hands, her feet and those big blues...


We've already had parent/teacher interviews at her school.  They were a few weeks back now and all I can say is that her teacher regards her as 'a gem' and gave her an absolute glowing report.  Monet is way ahead of her peers, it was noted, and there was no behavioural issues at all.  (Which I thought could have been a problem due to not getting as much attention at home as she once was.)  

It was suggested that Monet do an after school activity class which has been designed for children who are ready to read.  (At a cost you understand.)  So we paid our fee and Monet attended the first session.  We were told that this class was 'too easy' for her and was then placed in the 'Advanced' class.  So she is learning to read now and is getting very good.  We're very proud of her.  

The Big Sister role is a role Monet is filling nicely.  She adores her younger sister and I have noticed that Lily adores her big sister.  I think Monet has scored more smiles from the youngest than anyone else!

7 comments:

MissyBoo said...

Way to go, Monet! I can see you are making your mum and dad, and baby sister very proud :)

Melody, that is awesome :)

Stomper Girl said...

Isn't it funny how big the firstborn looks when you get the next baby! I remember thinking exactly the same thing, with only a 2 and 3/4 year gap between mine.

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same thoughts about Ashy having a giant head once Pip was born. It was most surreal how she seemed to be small on Friday, then huge by Saturday when he joined the family.

Monet will be able to read to her sister - she'll be a willing audience.

kurrabikid said...

I too thought E had a humungous head when we saw how little a newborn's is. I also got a reminder of how, erm, hard his head is when, after being asked 18 million times NOT TO JUMP ABOUT NEAR THE BABY'S HEAD, the inevitable happened and he headbutted her ... sigh!

Star said...

Lily has a wonderful role model in Monet.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I remember that feeling so clearly - all of a sudden my little six year old became a huge grown up kid.

Monet looks like a great big sister

Stacey said...

Look at that smile. What a gorgeous girl.